Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Funny insights


Yesterday Kaya and I were doing his reading lessons. He has moved into Level 2 of "All About Reading", and he is doing pretty well. Yesterday was a great reading day, and he was surprising me at every moment.
So, we get to this section called phrases. It is pretty straight forward.  There are about 8 or so phrases like, pink gum, go west, ten wishes.
Just random things.
 Every once in a while he would read the phrase and get a totally confused look on his face.
So I would be like, "what? What did you just read?"
And Kaya would say something like, "What the hell is that?"
So I would say, "read it again."
He would do it again, extra slowly, "tan handbag" and then I would get the look, " WHAT is a tan HAND bag?"
 So I said," Umm, what do you think it is?"
He was like, a "bag that you stick tan hands in?"
 It was so hilarious that we laughed and laughed. Me, because now I totally get why his comprehension is so dead off. I mean I can have him read a short little story, and then ask him what it was about, and I get the most bizarre narrations. I guess it's just his funny dyslexic brain doing it's thing.
He laughed, because when I told him what a tan handbag was, he exploded in a fit of belly laughs.
So we go on, and he comes to "glass of milk"
Obvious, right?
 Heeeeellll, no!
He says, " what the heck is, "glass of milk?"
I say," it's a glass of milk, dude....."
 OoooooH!
He goes on to say that at first all he saw in his head was an opaque glass made from milk.
  Kind of like, creme de menthe, or something like that.
So funny.
Anyway, it explained a lot, and he was so darn cute.



That's all.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Glad to hear you both got a kick out of that one! I love the tan handbag. Do you do audiobooks? We go through a ton of books on audio. We have a great librarian who will max out her budget on audiobooks for boys, and then I subscribe to Audible. Right now, Bunnicula is the craze. The boys have incredible memories for auditory input, but read it and forget it! Hugs!!

Frogcreek said...

Yes, he does a ton of audiobooks. Once he gets his official diagnoses from Yale in August, we can access Learning Ally and Bookshare and save so much money! Labeling does have it's perks!
:>)

Stephanie said...

I love these stories! So funny! It just goes to show that we can't be inside someone else's head... and when we try, we are only coming from our own, and it still isn't the same thing!
Awesome.