Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Lego NXT robotics, and game making!

Feeling like posting a "real" blog post today.
But a lazy one.
Kaya has been all about video games and electronics forever.

He started building platform games with Sploder.com but quickly outgrew that. Then we discovered a game programing online class that was much more serious and uses multimedia fusion. This is a game design software that many professional game makers use today. We use game design level 1 by Youth Digital to take the class. Because of Kaya's severe Dyslexia, I have to sit right next to him to complete the modules because there is a lot of reading. So for us it's a little slow going. But we love it! And he is actually building a game from the bottom up. If you have kids that are into gaming,  I can not recommend it highly enough. It has so many great program choices, and we are excited to work through them all. They are also located in North Carolina and offer a summer camp. One summer in the next two years, I would love to road trip there and let the boys enroll and really be immersed.
Also, we bought two lego NXT robotics kits, and rallied some talent within our homeschool community network, and have begun building and programming them.


 It is all kinds of awesome, and I am so grateful that we have the opportunity to program with the assistance of experts who are passionate about teaching the kids to program.
video

 It makes all the difference. It brings an excitement to something that tends to be seen as complicated.  Again, so awesome.
Read more here, so I don't have to write what's already been written.
I am not lazy.
Just super efficient.



2 comments:

Helena said...

How exciting! My boy was involved with the FIRST Lego League competition, using those same robots, for about a year and a half, and had a lot of fun. I wonder if you guys could create a Lego League team at some point? If you wanted?

I love that I get to see your kids' passions as they evolve. So cool to watch over the years! And I love your efficiency, too! :)

Frogcreek said...

Thanks, Helena! It's been so fun this winter. So many cool things are happening! I have heard good things about the Lego league. I have one son who is ok with teams and competition, and my youngest hates it! So we'll see!