Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Paralyzed chicken

IMG 7566
I have acquired a special needs chicken. She was attacked by a raccoon and had to have a leg amputated.
 She can not walk.
 She is pretty much completely paralyzed.
 She seems happy, she eats and drinks. She can barely move. She can not just hop around, as she does not seem to have a sense of balance. The previous owner did not want the special needs paralyzed chicken, so she came home with Addy.
My initial impression of paralyzed chicken was not a good one. I wanted to just send her back in to be euthanized. I felt she had such little quality of life. I found it to be a cruel existence. I literally have to place food and water in front of her. If she fidgets and gets turned around she can not access her food until I check on her again, and turn her around.
Helpless.
Slowly I have come to appreciate the young chicken. Somehow during the course of my care for her, I have changed. I don't know when it happened exactly. There was no pivotal moment of heart change. Today I just realized that I enjoy looking after her. She is helpless, she relies solely on me. She did not ask for her leg to be fixed, but here she is in my care.
 I would like to believe that if I was ever in a situation where I was helpless and alone that some kind hearted person would care for me, look after me. That I would not have to struggle or suffer. What I considered an unwanted undertaking has turned into some sort of spirit changing thing. I don't know really how to explain it. There is no reward for me, just constant work and effort. I just genuinely want to do something nice for this chicken.
 She may not even like me.
I think paralyzed chicken is here to make ME better.
It's weird.
Anyway, she even has her own song now because I think she likes it when I sing.
 The only one who might.
It's a special treat to hear my beautiful song. You'll only hear it from my lips if you are paralyzed, and a chicken. But I will share the special lyrics, are you ready?
"Paralyzed chicken, paralyzed chicken, you are special to me
You were attacked by a raccoon, your leg was chopped off, and you're special to me."
So there you have it.
special words.
I am not sure if I even got across what I wanted. I guess I am just saying that change can come from the strangest of places, and you'll only recognize it when your fully under it's wing.

1 comment:

Homeschool said...

ooooohhhhah. You are so cute. You might have to bring her inside. Was that a challenge to get you to sing?