Pages

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Dancing

The boys are loving dancing.
 It is one of the first activities that they have not slowly lost interest in. IMG 6496
 You know the halfway through Mantra when a new interest is explored but not enjoyed as anticipated, "I don't want to go, it isn't like what I thought".
I have heard that song many times.
 I always let them explore an interest, you never know what will be there thing. But it takes a while to find your thing, and we have had a high turn over of activities in our lives. I always try to find out what they don't like about it, is it the way the class is run, sucking out the joy, is the instructor really kid friendly? Sometimes when adults offer classes to kids, they don't enjoy kids really, they just see a niche market. I am usually like, "But honey I signed up for 10 weeks for 450.00 dollars, you have only been to three classes… "
It's my knee jerk reaction.
But in the end when I think about how excited they were to try and begin, and how unhappy they are at present, I know that they are not just giving up. When a pleasure activity becomes a chore and brings on tears, you gotta move on and give high fives for checking it out! It's not a life skill like reading, or math that they are bailing out on. It was an interest. Anyway, that's just my take. Sometimes it feels good to see in writing what you believe.
 I would rather have a quitter who tries new things constantly than a forced to stay, who learns to try very little.
 Anyway, it's not this way with dance! Dance is hard, repetitive, you have to master each move, remember sequences, dance in front of others. My kids take an hour long class with other kids and then immediately afterwards they do a private lesson with their dear dancing friend. IMG 6503
 That is two hours of physical and mental activity.
They never make the ride home! IMG 6745 IMG 6746
 They can't wait to go back every week. I see them dancing everywhere. I love it, they love it.
 It's so good.
 They ask about what happens when dance is over, will there be more? What about summer, can we go? Can we go on any other day besides Tuesday?
The best part is watching them. Each week they get better and I see it happening. I can't wait for their winter performance.
 I may cry.
 It's what I do when I see my quitters engaging fully in an act that brings out pure joy. IMG 6495
 I know it's in them at all times, but when I see it manifest in front of me, it blows me away each time.

1 comment:

Homeschool said...

Your post made me cry. They really are loving it and B-boy T couldn't be happier having some mates to dance with! They make an awesome trio.