Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Marlin's Audition

A few post ago, when I was telling about our BIG year, I had mentioned that Marlin really wanted to audition for the upcoming Penny Lane Production of A Midsummers Night's Dream. She had originally picked a Shel Silverstein poem, Smartest Son to audition, but it wasn't sticking. A week before auditions she switched over to Puck's last monologue from A Midsummer Night's Dream. She learned it quickly and became comfortable with it. The night before and morning of, we practiced a million times. She was nervous and wasn't sleeping well, so I slept with her, but still we tossed and turned. Truth be told, I was nervous too!
The morning came and we headed to the theatre… IMG 5807
We watched many friends, get up there bravely to do their audition. IMG 5809 IMG 5810 IMG 5811 IMG 5812 IMG 5813 IMG 5814 IMG 5815
Some went well, and others struggled… It kept me on the edge of my seat.
Then Marlin rose, walked up to the stage, and did her thing. IMG 5808
She was amazing!

 I was so proud of her. It's a really hard thing to do. To gather your confidence and get up there and just do it. I know that I would have just bailed and squandered an awesome opportunity out of fear as a kid, and maybe even today.
She is not sure what part she will get. She wants a smallish part that has a teeny bit of speaking, as it's her first time. There are a lot of kids who are auditioning, and some have been doing this for years, so I wonder what she will get…
Whatever it is, it's all amazing and she will have learned so much. IMG 5824
Break a leg, Marlin…

4 comments:

Homeschool said...

YAY! Marlin! You did so well, with so much grace and poise. I am so proud of you. Well done. It is going to be a great year for sure.

Lisa said...

What a brave girl! Our school is doing the same play this winter. It will Goose's second play and Binky's first. I can't wait! Marlin, you will be great!!

Jessica said...

I absolutely cannot wait to see this play in the spring. Such talented children working on something great. Your heart must have been bursting.

Shel said...

Way to go Marlin! Thanks so much for including the video. It was great to get to hear her give Puck's speech. She did great! Please let us know when the play will be, I'd love to come and see it! :)