Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Seedlings!

The kids wanted in on the garden this year. They will even have their own raised bed. They picked out the plants they wanted to grow, and got started in planting them.

Marlin wanted some flowers as well. She planted two varieties of sunflowers, poppies, and some big, tall flowers from Turkey that her Grandma there gave us last time we visited. I have no idea what they are but I think they call them Prophet's buttons or Mohammed's buttons.. I am not sure. I guess we'll solve that when they grow. They are coming to visit us in October, I'll take some pictures, and they can then give us the exact name. But anyway, here are the plants they choose to grow in their garden this year:

Two varieties of pumpkins
Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Pattypan squash
Purple peppers
Buttercup squash
They would like cherry tomatoes, but we'll buy those as started plants soon.
Pretty fun plants to grow. They obviously enjoy the big fruits!
In other plantly news, The carnivores are waking up from their hibernation. I really really enjoy these guys. I will take some photos of my indoor carnivores soon. They are beautiful, maybe even stunning.
Sundews

Flytrap, Red Dragon variety

CT local purple pitcher

Sarracenia.

Ah, spring.



3 comments:

Jessica said...

Next time we are there we have to peek at your plants. The girls loved learning about them in our readings....My favorite so far is the sundew but we giggle every time we mention the bladderwort!

Stephanie said...

Yay!!
I want frogs. :)

Heart Rockin Mama said...

ooohhhh... we haven't seen any toads yet. I just mentioned to Declan today that it is time to keep our eyes out for them. :-)