So the boys, who share a room by choice were feeling a little cramped.
What has been happening is when A and I go to bed, they are usually not tired, but are to afraid to hang out far from us alone. A and I require a lot more sleep than they to be functional happy people. So around 9-10 when we go off to blissful sleep, usually M calls it a night then as well. But the boys still have a few hours of play ahead of them. They usually grab a ton of toys from downstairs and play quietly in their room, until they want to sleep. However, they seriously lacked space. So we set out to rearrange and make this more of a comfortable area for them. E helped me sweep and clean,
We removed some furniture and slid the beds together.
Still wasn't optimal....
K's bed has a trundle underneath. So we took down E's bed, and put his mattress in the trundle and slid the bed way over. The bed "hides" during the day and pull it out at night.
It totally opened up the floor for play.We brought their toys up, so they would have greater variety during their play at night. They are too scared to go downstairs in the dark for more or different toys.
And most importantly, they have room for their weapons to be in the same room with them.
Weapons at the ready, right there, spontaneous battles, can you believe it!
This really sealed the deal.
It was quite a lovely string of happenings. It started with me asking if she wanted to visit the animals with me, and look for tracks.
I like seeing what's been prowling around here when we get a fresh canvass of snow.
She said YES!
So we discovered these
and then we found her, all she wanted was to give horse kisses,
and horsey love
and the girl gave it right back
and then we watched these guys do their thing
and wondered how those baby boys got
and we poked at dead trees, cause they were soft and pokeable
and we made our own marks in the snow
and decided to sled into the darkness
and we wandered in the twilight back to our home
the moon kept it's eye on us
and we liked how pretty the trees looked against this color sky
and we climbed back up the hill for one more run.
And it was good.
`We have had this kit kicking around for a while and OLM's Science Fair 2010 gave us the little nudge we needed to get it going.
The first thing we needed to do was to create seed crystals. These will be used to form the crystals in the geode shell that we will make in about 5 days.
We needed to measure an accurate amount of water and crystal forming powder to create a solution.
After we did that we boiled our water and poured it in our pre measured crystal powder in a storing and mixing container.
We had to mix for a long while to ensure dilution. Then we had to let it cool and start to form for two hours with the top on.
After the two hours we removed the top, sprinkled in some clumps of powder and some of the loose powder.
We now must be patient and let it sit undisturbed for 5 days. The water needs to evaporate and create our seed crystals so we can move on to the next step.
After waiting a week, we poured off the solution to reveal our seed crystals.
We let them dry out for about 3 days and we were ready.
They are quite pretty just as they are.
Next we had to cast our geode shell.
Basically it's a gypsum mix and you mix with 9 tablespoons of water, after it thickens, you spread around the mold at your desired thickness.
Once it began to set, we pushed our seed crystals into the plaster.
We tried to fill up what we could, so we could have a nice geode. After it dried up, we made another batch of the liquid, the same that made our seed crystals, and filled our geode.
We covered it with foil, and let it sit for two days covered. Then we uncovered it and let it sit for an additional 4 days.
This was our final result.
We were not very impressed.
I mean it's ok.
Kind of cool.
We all agree that the seed crystals are where it's at. So if we did this again we would just make a huge batch of seed crystals and break it large pieces.
Not a disappointing experiment, just one where you learn how to do the next one better!