Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cape Cod Part 2

We knew that we were going to meet up with the Heart Rockin' Family on our trip out here.  We had talked about doing a seal tour on a boat to get out in open water and near the prey of the Great White. It would be cool to see cute seals up close doing their thing in the water, even if no sharks were spotted.
 However, the seal tours were pricey and we would be stuck on a boat for an hour and half with a pack of wild hooligans. Then I came across this boat that brings you out to a beach called South beach, leaves you there for 4 hours, and then retrieves you.
I spoke to Jean, and this was the very spot that had been shut down for swimming due to the high volume of shark sightings.
 And so between the three awesome families, it was decided that this is what we would do.
Really, it could not have been a more clever plan. This place was spectacular!
We started out our adventure with a fast boat ride to our destination.

After the boat dropped us off, we knew pretty quickly that this place was special.

Even though there were a few others on this island, mostly hi- tech bird watchers, it felt exclusively ours.
We walked from the bayside over to the ocean side to set up our spot.

The kids raced to the edge of the sea to play in the waves.

 We had to be watchful because this was real ocean! Big waves, nasty undertow, and um, Sharks. So we kind of cajoled them to do other activities. Actually, it was Evren who was destined to be shark bait, he kept venturing further and further......
Anyway, Kaya kept a good look out for any sharkly activity.

Even though we were not able to see any sharks, we saw loads of seals swimming so close to shore. Some alone, and some in groups.

 This was the best shot I could get on my phone, but Jean has some goodies over here. The kids would run and follow them down the coast.  Every now and then the seals would stop and stare at them with big eyes. The kids would of course be delighted and squeal. It was so neat to just seal watch and wander the beach. This was a much better venture than the seal cruise.
After a while the wind got to us, and we decided to head over to the calmer bayside for a little change of scenery and climate. It was amazing timing actually. At first we thought we found this cool little tidal pool in a channel to play in.

We quickly realized that the tide was coming in, and it was coming in fast. It was wild to witness the changing of the tide first hand. I did not realize how rapidly the volumes change. The kids were awed as well!

I don't how it all started, but the events that occurred during this time were just wonderful. Everyone rallied to try and stop the tide. Everyone was so into it, working together. Parents, kids, tiny ones, united to stem the flow.

 A pretty good dam was created with sand and loads of seaweed which had a huge impact. They did stop it for some time. There were many breaches, but those kids were on it. They quickly figured out best techniques, and materials, and they never lost interest or gave up.

 One dam failed, but they quickly reorganized to build a second which lasted a long time! Unfortunately our 4 hour time slot slipped away rather quickly, and it was time to leave our special spot.
If you ever go to the Cape near the Chatham area,

 this is quite a spot.
After we arrived back at the docks, I overheard two boaters talking about a whale that had washed ashore. I was all, Wait, what?
I marched my homeschoolin' mama butt right over there, and politely intruded into their conversation. I gleaned as much info as I could, and quickly spread the info to the others as well. Everyone was on board, and we high tailed it to Chatham's lighthouse beach to see for ourselves.
Apparently, this whale has been dead for a while, and they pulled it ashore.

It was 28 feet long. And although his death was sad and tragic. It really was an awesome opportunity to see it.

While we were there Jean and I spoke whale to each other like Dory in Nemo, and laughed our butts off. It was fun, and that's why Jean and I love each other so much, because when it comes down to it, we are just big dummies. And it's fun to be with people who are not embarrassed with us when we start pulling this kind of crap.
 While we were there, and not making fools of ourselves, we learned that they were going to perform a necropsy on this whale.
Um, cutting it open, so we can see parts? We were definately coming back in the morning.
So, we decided that this day must not end yet. We took a scenic ride to Hyannis to go to an arcade place. This is where we said good bye to the Dorsey's. It was an amazing day, one of the best.
Our camping buddies and us went out for Thai, which was so good, and then out for an ice cream to end our adventure on a sweet note.

This was quite a big, fun, magical day. And the best part of all is that we spent it with people who we truly enjoy spending hours with.
A day in which everything was right in the world.


FreeMamaof2 said...

Oh my! Looks like a magical fun adventure for you all! Very exciting. :)

varunner said...

You've had so many amazing adventures this summer and they are just blending right on into fall. I can't believe that whale!

Heart Rockin Mama said...

That will, without a doubt, go down as one of my favorite days ever. And how lucky am I that I got to spend it with you?

Thank you for being a whale speaking goofball with me!
Love you!