Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

To Savannah

I love Savannah. I would pack and move there with no issues. It's stunningly beautiful,
 has spanish moss,
perfect wet warm air, history, beautiful old houses, killer food, charming city, and wonderful parks.
I think I will revisit Savannah every now and then throughout my life. I have some sort of crush on it.
It was only 3 hours from Julie's. I think about 4 hours between stops is perfect for us, after the initial haul of course.
The first thing we needed to do was set up camp.
We picked the beautiful Skidaway Island state park. I absolutely adored this place.
It had these great trails.
We hiked around in the woods, in the moss, and the palms. It was full of little fiddler crabs,
 and beetles the length of your thumb, and we spied
little lizards,
and tried hard to catch them. They were quick!
They turned over a log and found a little surprise.
 They were dying to catch the crabs, but they were down in the mud flats. This little guy was hiding under the very log they lifted.
Lucky day!
We spent some time in there just soaking it all in.
The natural beauty was just all around us, and it felt good to be in it.
We decided to head back and came across the interpretive center.
It housed many creatures, alive and preserved, that called Skidaway their home.
 It even housed the skeleton of a giant prehistoric sloth that once roamed these parts.
We thoroughly enjoyed camping here. Nice roads for the kids to bike, lots of wildlife about to catch your interest, decent facilities. We worked up a nice appetite, and we proceeded to embrace our camping experience.
You know it's not really camping unless you make some s'mores..

Tomorrow, we hit the city.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I love visiting the south, thanks for sharing all of your adventures. The Spanish Moss is so lovely, I could look at it for hours....

Stephanie said...

I would love to visit!

Rosemarie said...

Looks like an awesome trip. Hope to see you soon.

Robbins Zoo said...

I was just introduced to your blog by a blogger friend.
We love going to Savannah on feild trips. It looks like you have a great time.