Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

If you can't beat them

EAT them!
And so we did.
I love dandelions, though. I can't really believe that people put pesticides on their lawn to eradicate these?
Really?
They are so yellow.
The bees love them.
You can eat the flower and leaves too.
So we got wind of a recipe and decided that we should really try it out.
And so we did.
First gather the
 tops of the flower.
wash well.
I soaked them so the bugs would come off. Although, we never saw any bugs.
Next pat them dry.
Make your batter.
1 egg
1 cup of milk
1 cup of flour.
I also added spices to it.
but next time I won't, and I will explain why in a few.
 Next, Dip each Dandy into the batter so that it covered. Then fry them in a pan with olive oil until both sides are golden brown.
Drain off excess oil on a towel.
Taste test! Dipped in ranch dressing!
It passed!
We also decided to toss some in a cinnamon/sugar mix for a sweet treat.
 This is why I would for-go the spice next time. The ranch dressing masked the flavor of the spices anyway.
We all really liked the sweeter version better. So the added spices make no sense for this reason alone.
 Mmmm....
Some of the dandelions had a bitter after taste, and the sugar helped with that as well.
The recipe was sourced from:
http://www.learningherbs.com/dandelion_recipes.html
I think we will try to locate more local edible plants and try them out this summer.
It will be a very local summer for sure!
I had a lot of excess batter left over. 
So, we shredded up a yellow squash, some carrots, onion, and garlic.
Mixed it in with the batter.
And made a bunch of fritters.
yummy stuff.
 Enjoy!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi Toots.
:)
I'm putting this one up on Growing Naturally.

mamak said...

Right on!

Julie said...

Wow! More dandelion recipes. Thanks for sharing. I love dandelions, and love them in the grass.

the little travelers said...

we recently made these as well and all the kids loved em!

MamaLou said...

Had 5 kids here today exc ited about fried Dandelions....cool recipe and the sugar version was especially popular.......