Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

A barnly kind of update


Ok, so Mini was in heat a few days ago. I love her funny screams when she wants to be bred.
It always gets us laughing up at the barn.  She can be loud, and that's even funnier. Here is a quick sample of her amusing "words"
video 
Don't mind the run away chickens. They live next door, and when a certain board in knocked loose they escape and wind up visiting the goats. 
Naughty chickens!
M and I saw Oreo try and attempt to do the deed. M fondly calls it humping. She was cheering for him, and it was all I could do to not laugh. I mean really, it isn't every day that you have a 7 year old standing on a bucket, clapping her hands saying, 
"Go boy, hump her, yay Oreo!"
"Mom, look he is sperming her!"
 Aw geez.
 So anyway, M is convinced that dear sweet Mini is pregnant. I won't believe it till next month. It's been a long road, you know?
 We also got our first double yolker. So exciting!
 I kind of guessed that was the deal when I saw the size of it.
Big!
 I told the kids what I thought and asked the kids what their guesses were. M said when you are doing an experiment, that it's not called a guess, it's a, a, a. 
I filled in her blank. Hypothesis?
Yes! 
I was surprised that she could clarify that. Anyway, it made me smile.
So we cracked that bad boy open, and lo and behold:
So it was!
 K wanted to be the eater, 
and so we let him.
 So here is some useless info that you may, or may not want to know. A double yolked egg is usually the cause of an immature reproductive track. Rarely it's genetic. You can figure that out by multiple double yolkers, I guess. They rarely can hatch. If so, they develop weakly, one or both usually die, or they are so crowded they can't hatch out of the egg.
An egg with no yolk is commonly referred to as a fart egg.
 Ha!
 Fart!...-K

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Love this post!
That's hilarious about M!!
And thanks for the egg lesson. I would have said "twins!?" :/

:) Steph

Stephanie said...

I forgot to say,
"The eggs are gorgeous!"

ladybug-zen said...

good times are a rollin' over here at frog creek. your posts are always funny, but this one is a howler! love it. "he's sperming her." sounds like somthing j would say/ probably has said.

i hope the ole gal is knocked up!the goat that is. that was a goat, wasn't it? :)

mamak said...

Lady bug you made me laugh, yes, she is a goat!And yes we want the goat knocked up, no one else BUT the goat!
Steph, we love our pretty eggs!