Mondays are our easing in day. It's a whole different feel from the weekend. The great thing about homeschooling is that we don't have to scramble to get going for school on Monday morning. We get up, and slowly get back into our weekday schedule. We can gently refocus and do some more organized things.
Today, we made some Valentine's day cards. M got about 5 done before she was ready to save her creative juices for another day. I think we'll pick that up again later this week. K was not interested in the least. He is generally crafty, but there was a dinosaur documentary on Nat Geo that required some deep thought. E would only participate in the art making, naked.
We made laundry detergent today. An online friend, Shelley, posted her recipe on a message board last month and I finally rounded up all the ingredients. It was super easy to make. It smells pretty decent. I used tea tree as it was all I had here. Next time, I will try patchouli. It cost so little to make. The proof will be in the pudding though. I will post my results next time I do a load. I am most excited about not spending like 8 or 9 bucks for a few gallons of detergent, Also, I am pretty giddy about not using all that plastic. Those detergent containers are huge!
Here is the recipe/directions:
Grate one bar of Ivory soap in a pan and add 6 cups of water.
Heat over med/high heat. This takes about 30 min. ( I found a trick though, and will explain below)
Once the soap is all dissolved, add 3/4 cup EACH of Borax and Arm and Hammer super washing powder.
If you want to add a scent, Essential oils like lavender or tea tree, do it now.
Add 4 cups HOT water in a bucket.
Once all the soap, borax, washing powder solution is dissolved, pour into bucket.
Stir in 1 1/2 gallons of cool water.
It is done and can be used 1/2 cup per load.( I will try a 1/4 first)
It will gel up over time and separate, it's normal just stir it up.
Ok, so like I said, it was a breeze to make. Oh, and about that trick. I had to take M to pottery class after we grated the soap. So I added the 6 cups of water (I used HOT water) in the pan with the soap and left. I came back 2 hours later to this gelatinous mixture. I simply put it on the stove on med heat and kept stirring it. It was completely dissolved and ready to move to the next step in about 10 minutes.
Ok, so I have nothing left to say. I can't think of a way to end this unabruptly at the moment. So I will just leave.