Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2008

got a goatie.





We got a goat, we got a goat!
Well, we don't have her here yet. Her name is Leyla. She is Nigerian Dwarf/LaMancha cross. So she is actually called a mini mancha. That's her, the black one behind E's head.

I originally wanted a Nigerian Dwarf. When I talked to the goat farmer, and told her we wanted to drink lots of the milk, she said a cross breed would be better drinking milk. The best thing is, is that Ms. Leyla is pregnant! Which means we will try and get the barn ready and bring her home in the end of February and have her kid(s) here.

Baby goat birthing. In my barn. We watch. Baby goats. All mine.

I need a paper bag to hyperventilate in.

We are excited to possibly see the birth of twins or triplets. I hope they are girls!

Goats, goats, goats, goats!

We picked her because she was being bullied, and she was really unhappy there. She will do better just living with her babies here. She is black and white, and so very sweet. In fact, all of the goats were just so gentle with the kids, and followed them around like pups. They even tolerated E. I was actually surprised no one butted him. He harassed the ducks, chickens and guineas. He was finally humbled, by Jack the huge gentle giant horse.
It was such a great trip that took us to the border, literally, of Massachusetts. It was such a great little farm. It teamed with creatures, and hay smells, and livestock sounds. It was perfect.

So in a few weeks, we have to re establish a stall, get all the supplies, put up a fence, and pick up our big fat PREGNANT goat.

Goat, goat, goat, goat, goat, GOAT.

Man, I am so loving my life these days.-k

2 comments:

julie said...

Hurray!!! I am so excitted for you guys. I can't wait to meet Lelya.

Dawn said...

That is wonderful!!!
WOW ~ a goat...and babies!!