Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Waldorf Julie.








Meet my friend Waldorf Julie. Here is her blog:http://naturalplaygarden.blogspot.com/




It is her personal blog, where she discuss her Waldorf inspired journey with her family, in particular with homeschooling her son Ryan.




I met Julie close to two years ago at a home school meet up at a local library. We had a lot of similarities, and we just clicked. I was new to the Waldorf approach and was simply exploring it. Julie was a ton more experienced in it, and living it.




I am not Waldorf per se. We use some parts, but we are more eclectic, evolving unschoolers who use curriculum as needed. So contradictory, but that's me. A pinch of this, a smattering of that, and it always makes the best stew! Besides, E is to Waldorf like a swarm of angry bees is to a picnic. yeah.




She turned us onto handcrafts, especially felting. The kids prefer working wet soapy felt into balls and abstract shapes, and I like needle felting best.




It is something that I do randomly, but enjoy. It's relaxing and the results are always beautiful. Naturally beautiful because of the medium used. Plant dyed roving from sheep, sticks, acorns, and anything else reclaimed from Mother Nature.




She is brilliant when it comes to handwork. She has made 90% of Ryan's playroom. In fact Julie's playroom is the most peaceful and serene play spaces I have ever visited. We love going to Ryan's house because it is so lovely in atmosphere. It's a place to be real, reflect on natural existence, and drink tea. I drink a lot of tea. All of the time. Julie doesn't even get mad at me for drinking her tea. I love Julie. My kids love Julie and Ryan. Love.




It's hard these days to have your kids play with kids who you like, and also have parents that you truly enjoy. Julie is one of those friends.




Anyway, Julie makes the most wonderful fairies. Those are pictured above. The other 3 pics, are of things that Julie has helped me make, or inspired me to try. They look lovely in windows, children's spaces, rooms, wherever one would need a fairy presence.




She has her own shop on Etsy, she does special orders if you need a particular themed felt animal for your child or Nature table. They are always beautiful, always seeming perfect for your child. Hell, she is a knitter too, and knits the most wonderful creatures as well.




If you check out her blog, you will see her link to Etsy. It's always better to buy hand made from other Mama's, and Etsy makes that possible. Usually, actually always, I have never seen a lead recall. Nobody is importing wool from China.




Here is Stephanie's handwork site. She is a friend of Julies, who I had the pleasure of meeting at Julies Winter Solstice Advent Spiral ( see Julies blog, and see if you can spot M, K and E's photo there!). Stephanie makes beautiful crafts as well:http://www.elementalhandcrafts.com/ Check out her Santa, unreal! I love her crowns, I think they are so pretty. Anyway, support a Mama, screw Mattell! Handcrafts are perfect gifts anytime of year, but look particularly lovely in Easter baskets. And your kids won't lose brain cells if they lick them.-K

3 comments:

RegularMom said...

Just wanted to say: hey, I love your banner picture, and the name Frog Creek! I love frogs, ya know. I'll be adding you to my blogroll just as soon as I finish moving and find time to update my lists. :)

MamaK said...

Hey there! I just found your blog the other day. Yer funny! Thanks for checking me out.-K

Anthony said...

WOW! Thanks Kim. We love you guys too. Can't wait to see you and catch up.

Julie